Announcement Number: Nairobi-2022-003
Hiring Agency: Embassy Nairobi
Position Title: Refugee Specialist - All Interested Applicants
Open Period: 11/23/2021 - 12/08/2021
The U.S. Mission in Nairobi is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Refugee Specialist.
The LE Refugee Specialist in the Political Section’s Refugee Affairs Unit of U.S. Embassy Nairobi reports to the Senior Refugee Coordinator. The position monitors and reports on regional refugee assistance and protection issues, developing the specialized knowledge required to advise Embassy and PRM officials in decision-making and the direction of substantial resources in support of embassy goals in humanitarian assistance, regional security, and human rights. Supports the monitoring and evaluation of humanitarian programs in Kenya and Somalia; identifies gaps in assistance and advises on strategic direction; leads outreach among working-level government, civil society, and media contacts; and serves as the Unit’s Grants Officer’s Representative. Will have opportunities for travel to refugee camps in Kenya and Somalia in order to conduct program monitoring and analysis, and drafts trip reports for use by Nairobi, regional, and Washington-based officers in shaping policy and strengthening U.S. government advocacy for refugee assistance.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Affairs, Social Work, Law, International Development, or Political Science is required.
- English Level III (Good) Speaking/Reading/Writing is required (This may be tested).
- Kiswahili Level III (Good) Speaking/Reading/Writing is required.
- Three years of professional work experience in humanitarian assistance, international development, political affairs, program evaluation, NGO management, or social work is required.
- Must have prior work experience in an office setting.
- Knowledge of refugee and humanitarian issues is required. Familiarity with international refugee law and humanitarian norms is required.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Office package, especially MS Outlook, Word, and Excel. Must demonstrate ease at drafting emails, reports, and memos on a computer.
- Ability to make basic calculations using MS Excel is required.
- Must be able to handle sensitive information in a confidential manner.
- High sensitivity to cross-cultural issues is required. Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and planning skills are required. Attention to detail and problem-solving skills is required.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multitask and prioritize work is required. Must be able to work in a high-stress, high productivity environment independently with little supervisory oversight.
The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.